Where are Americans packing their bags and heading? The latest study by Forbes Home has revealed the top destinations for movers within the U.S., From sunny beaches to bustling cities, and it’s no surprise that Florida and Texas are tied for the top spot. But where does California fall in the mix? First, look at the numbers and discover which states attract the most newcomers.
The Most Popular American States to Move To
Forbes Home, a moving expert group, conducted a recent study on the most popular American states to move to, which revealed that Florida and Texas share the top spot. The study analyzed data from the U.S. Census Bureau on state-to-state migration, determining where Americans lived one year before, and where they moved to.
The study’s findings showed:
- Florida was the first choice for movers from seven states, with 601,611 movers from all other 49 states and Washington, D.C., during 2019.
- Texas was tied with Florida as the most common destination for movers from seven other states, with 559,661 movers across the U.S.
- California came in second place, ranking as the most popular moving destination for residents of six other states, with 480,204 movers.
- The most significant influx to Florida came from Georgia, with 49,681 people moving there.
- The most significant influx to Texas came from California, with 82,235 individuals moving from that state.
- Washington had the most people moving to California, with 31,882 individuals.
- Washington, Massachusetts, and Minnesota are each the number one destination for three states.
- Washington is most popular for movers from Idaho, Oregon, and Montana, with 231,956 movers.
- Massachusetts is the top destination for movers from Maine, New Hampshire, and Rhode Island, with 144,079 arrivals from other states.
- Minnesota is the No. 1 destination for North Dakota and South Dakota movers, with 106,920 moving to the state.
Top Five Most Popular Destinations for All 50 American States, Along With the Number of People Who Made the Move
Study on the Most Popular American States to Move to Conducted by Forbes Home
Forbes Home, a trusted source in the personal finance industry with decades of experience, conducted the study. The editorial team is dedicated to empowering consumers to make informed financial decisions and select the best financial products for their goals and lifestyle. Forbes Home prioritizes research, deep expertise, and rigorous methodologies to ensure its coverage, reviews, and advice are of the highest quality.
Rachel K. Belkin, M.Ed is a journalist and syndicated freelance writer of travel, business, health, education, and local Austin, Texas events with publications in HuffPost, Hometalk, Matador Network, AP News, MSN.com, and her websites Rachel K. Belkin, Elkin Bay, and Probe the Globe.
Rachel loves to experience cultures, customs, foods, activities, and nature. She studied abroad in Spain, volunteered and studied in Costa Rica, and spent a summer in Israel as a volunteer English teacher at a kids' camp.
Rachel has over 15 years of experience in writing, social media marketing, digital content creation, and search engine optimization. She founded and sold a site, brand, and community centered around health, education, parenting, travel, and lifestyle topics.
Rachel is also an experienced public speaker and has been on TV segments for Fox 7 Austin, KXAN, and CBS Austin and is a professional speaker at conferences and networking meetings for business owners and cancer survivors.